3.17.2011

:: function over form


Well now, I have to say that yesterday started off rainy and gloomy, but suddenly that beautiful sunshine popped out and my day was off to a fantastic start. I began my cleaning in the kitchen as this is the heart of my home, but lo and behold I became sidetracked by some cute but empty terra cotta pots on my windowsill. I have to admit, that I'm often sidetracked when I'm cleaning...which usually involves a little bit of rearranging or redecorating. A few weeks ago I purchased some seed starting mix, so I pulled it out along with my little tin of seeds, and the seed starting began.


I planted a few with this Zinnia mix, and a couple with lavender. I can't wait to see little shoots of green pop up. Well, by now I'm mixing up seed mix with zeal and I'm looking all around for other pots to fill and start with seeds. Once I get started it's hard to stop....oh how I love to garden and play in dirt.


Don't laugh, but this is where the function over form comes in. Unfortunately I don't have a great place to start seeds indoors except my little windowsill, it's the only place that receives good light through most of the day. Sooo, I decided to give starting some seeds outside a shot. I know that it's still a little chilly, so I thought I would create little mini greenhouses with these glass cloches { cheese domes } I had on hand. The middle pot is covered with a glass hurricane. Now I know these aren't the prettiest things, and I didn't do anything to style these photos...this is how they are on my back deck right now. I have some lavender, cilantro, rosemary, and chives planted in these little pots, my personal gardening experiment. I am by no means an expert gardener, but I do like to play around with it like most everything else I do. I'm a dabbler....I love to dabble in a little bit of everything. Jack of all, but master of none.....what can I say.....I get bored easily.


Now I'm crossing my fingers hoping that the weather cooperates and my little greenhouses work and I get to be mama to some little seedlings soon. We shall see.... whatever happens, it was fun getting my hands dirty. I can't wait to get out in my vegetable gardens. I was fortunate to able to clean and weed them this past weekend thanks to the gorgeous weather. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be another beautiful sunny Seventy degree day, but the hubs and I are off to celebrate our anniversary this weekend so no gardening for me.....just some good one on one time spent with the love of my life in the mountains....I can't wait.

Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend....see you Monday.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day




:: peace, love & hugs ::
Carrie






Pin It

7 comments:

  1. lol, you do what you gotta do, right?! I love that idea, with the glass domes, much cuter than a plastic tray!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those glass domes actually have a beauty all their own! I don't have any cloches, but I may have to find some smaller pots and use vases or things I do have have. What a great idea! So excited for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea with your creative cloches. I love that. I am looking forward to getting out and planting. Here that won't be until mid May for fear of any more cold and frost.
    Have a great weekend Carrie!
    ~Karen~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its clever thanks for the idea I have some forget-me-not seeds and you have inspired me to do the same. love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carrie,
    It snowed today :(
    I'm ready for Spring :)
    Thanks for giving me something to look forward to :)
    xxx Liz
    Ps. How many seeds did you plant?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use cheese domes in my garden to protect some of my more tender perennials, they sure look funny out there... today we had a blanket of snow on my little dears so they looked like frosted cakes. Can't wait to start some seeds, thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, those will be so darling in your window.. If only i had a green thumb- i kill fake flowers... Cant wait to see yours bloom..
    Karryann

    ReplyDelete

I love seeing your lovely faces & reading your sweet comments. Thanks for taking the time to visit me : ) * I do my best to respond by e-mail, if I miss you please forgive me. peace & love * Carrie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...